Oh tacos. How I love you. Why do you insist on being so unhealthy and yet so irresistible? Crispy, crunchy shells. Sour Cream. CHEESE. It honestly is just not fair how incredible you are.
Except. If I could find a way to indulge my love of tacos without having to indulge in all that cheese? Well, that would be perfection.
Enter the taco salad. The problem, though, is that a typical taco salad which is basically a deconstructed taco and is definitely not healthy. So how can I take this indulgent, delicious, decadent meal and make it healthy, gluten free, clean AND vegan?
Well, we start with a bed of arugula. Instead of meat, we are using black beans cooked in a refried bean style (SO GOOD). Coconut milk instead of sour cream. Top it off with some avocados and I promise you won’t miss the neon yellow processed shredded cheese.
Get the recipe below and never miss a Taco Tuesday again.
Ingredients:4 cups arugula
Make the chips:
- Preheat oven to 350 F⠀
- Cut corn tortillas into eight pieces each and place onto a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with olive oil. These will be your nacho chips.⠀
- Bake in oven (bottom rack) for 10 minutes, move pan to top rack and bake for an additional 10 minutes (total 20 minutes) ⠀
Make the refried beans:
- Place a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Add finely chopped onion and spices to pan.
- Sautee until onion starts to stick to the pan. Add 1 tablespoon of water to pan to loosen. ⠀
- Continue to sautee until onions are translucent.
- Add beans to pan and sautee until warmed through
- With a potato masher, mash the beans in the pan, adding 1 tbsp or water at a time to ensure bean mixture doesn’t stick to the pan
- Once mashed, remove from heat and set aside
- Place arugula on plate and top with a large scoop of refried beans, sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes, corn, cilantro, and a drizzle of coconut milk. Add chips on the side and enjoy!